Friday, January 14, 2011

On avoiding the passive voice

I struggle with avoiding the passive voice. It's said that a writer who uses the passive voice is insecure about their work, and maybe their right, nevertheless, her is my attempt to begin the exodus of passive voice from my writing. It's rocky, but it will get better. After all, this is a journey isn't it? Perhaps this marks the beginning of me settling into confidence. Anyway, heres the passage:

Jack sits on the bed, his feet hang over the side. He looks past his knobby knees like a person looking down the face of a cliff- in awe and fear. The light from the window creeps over the windowsill and crawls across the floor but still Jack stares. Still Jack sits. The typewriter stands silent, cold. The words are only a whisper in the back of his mind. Jack can stare as hard as he likes . . . the story will not come back. Shane will not come back. No one comes back. 
The sunlight gave up on Jacks room and slunk back over the windowsill.

1 comment:

  1. I like the sentence, "Jack can stare as hard as he likes...the story will not come back." It's like the story is a lover or lost dog.

    By the way, I spy a typo: should "her is my attempt" be "here is my attempt"?

    ReplyDelete